Oracle IAS, the best coaching institute for RBI grade B/NABARD/SEBI in Dehradun (Uttarakhand), brings to you views on important issues.
- Current account convertibility means freedom to convert domestic currency into foreign currency and vice versa to execute trade in goods and invisibles.
- On the other hand, capital account convertibility implies freedom of currency conversion related to capital inflows and outflows.
- Compared to current account convertibility, capital account convertibility is a complex issue because of the peculiar feature of capital account transactions.
Meaning of Capital Account Convertibility (CAC)
- Capital Account Convertibility is not just the currency convertibility freedom, but more than that, it involves the freedom to invest in financial assets of other countries.
- The Committee on Capital Account Convertibility was formed in (1997, Chairman Dr S S Tarapore).
- It is associated with changes of ownership in foreign/domestic financial assets and liabilities and embodies the creation and liquidation of claims on, or by, the rest of the world.”
- Capital account convertibility is thus the freedom of foreign investors to purchase Indian financial assets (shares, bonds etc.) and that of the domestic citizens to purchase foreign financial assets.
- It provides rights for firms and residents to freely buy into overseas assets such as equity, bonds, property and acquire ownership of overseas firms besides free repatriation of proceeds by foreign investors.
Why capital account convertibility?
- Countries prefer capital account convertibility to promote the inflow of foreign capital. Despite the various risk associated with capital flows like fluctuations in various segments of the financial market, countries like India goes for it to get the advantage of having additional foreign capital.
- Contact us for:-RBI GradeB/NABARD/SEBI coaching in Dehradun (Uttarakhand), Current Affairs classes in Dehradun (Uttarakhand), For best guidance and study material call 7088873675, 9997453844