UPPCS Mains- 2018 answer writing practice
Q1. What are local winds? Give relevant examples.
स्थानीय पवने क्या है? कुछ उदाहरण दें |
Q2) Discuss the principal of plate tectonics?
प्लेट विवर्तनिक सिद्धांत की चर्चा करें |
- Winds blowing over a specific region due to the difference in the pressure gradient are called local winds. They develop in response to the local terrain and impact in the weather conditions of the place.
On the basis of periodicity they are classified into:
- Periodic winds: Blow over a region back and forth with a fixed time period. Example:
- Sea and Land breeze: Due to differential heating of land and sea near coastal areas.
- Monsoon winds: Pressure gradient between the Indian ocean and Indian subcontinent.
- Mountain and valley breeze
- Non periodic winds: Examples:
- Blizzard: Cold wind in North America
- Bora: Cold wind in Adriatic sea region
- Loo: Hot wind over Indian sub continent
- Khasmin: Hot wind in Egypt
- Plate tectonics is the theory that Earth’s outer shell is divided into several plates that glide over the mantle (asthenosphere). Plate tectonics is the modern version of continental drift, a theory first proposed by scientist Alfred Wegener in 1912. There are nine major plates, according to World Atlas. These plates are named after the landforms found on them egs. North-American, African, Australian etc. The driving force behind plate tectonics is convection in the mantle. Hot material near the Earth’s core rises, and colder mantle rock sinks. The convection drive plates tectonics through a combination of pushing and spreading apart at mid-ocean ridges and pulling and sinking downward at subduction zones leading to divergent, convergent and transform boundaries.