The most important and most neglected part for Civil Services Preparation is answer writing. It is not about HOW MUCH YOU STUDY but CAN YOU WRITE within word limit and time frame. After UPPCS daily answer writing practice and UKPCS DAILY ANSWER WRITING PRACTICE, ORACLE IAS comes out with new initiative UPSC DAILY ANSWER WRITING PRACTICE.
‘Indian agriculture needs to switch back to indigenous variety of seeds’. Critically analyse it in light of the recent Bt Brinjal controversy. (150 words)
‘भारतीय कृषि को वापस देशीय बीजों पर लौटने की आवश्यकता है’ । इस कथन का हाल के बीटी बैंगन मुद्दे के संदर्भ में आलोचनात्मक परीक्षण करें।
History of Bt. usage in India and present status.
Benefits and threats of Bt.
- Need for concensus
- Bangladesh case study
Bt. Cotton has been succesfully commercialized in India. The GEAC in 2009 had recommended commercial release of Bt Brinjal. However amidst protests the MoEF had imposed an indefinite moratorium on commercial cultivation of Bt Brinjal.
Case for Bt
- Maximum damage to brinjal crop is due to a major pest called the fruit and shoot borer. Thus using the GM version of brinjal would drastically reduce the use of insecticide to control the disease.
- Would result in better yields and profits for farmers
- Would pave the way for other Bt crops like the Bt. Mustard. etc.
Case against Bt
- The increase cost of the transgenic seed would mean increased cost to the farmer.
- There is a concern that growing transgenic crops would require more fertilizers which may have effects on environment.
- Biosafety concerns: Effect on Human health and Environment are unknown and may also impact diverse brinjal variety.
- Contamination of non-GM crops grown adjacent to GM crops due to cross-pollination
With the successful commercialization of the Bt. cotton and increasing population burden to feed there is need for scientific consensus among the various stake holders. Furthermore, GEAC should sought information about after effects of commercial release of the GM crop from Bangladesh where it has been approved for commercial use.