The most important and most neglected part for Civil Services Preparation is answer writing. It is not about HOW MUCH YOU STUDY but CAN YOU WRITE within word limit and time frame. After UPPCS daily answer writing practice and UKPCS DAILY ANSWER WRITING PRACTICE, ORACLE IAS comes out with new initiative UPSC DAILY ANSWER WRITING PRACTICE.
“Communalism is based on a shaky intellectual premise, but it has the power to change the fate of nations”. Discuss. (250 words)
"सांप्रदायिकता का बौद्धिक आधार दुर्बल है, लेकिन इसमें राष्ट्रों के भाग्य को बदलने की शक्ति है"। चर्चा करें।
Define or describe communalism.
Discuss shaky premise and examples of great power
Examples of failure and ways to combat.
The genesis of communalism lies in the premise that religion is the primary identity of a person and it is the most important determinant of his social, economic and political situation. This leads to a clash between communities and discord in a society.
Shaky intellectual premise:-
- Only religion is considered important binding factor, whereas a person’s language, culture etc. are given less importance. However in actual world, these are at least as much important
- It is posited that just due to religion, a community’s interests would be different from other religious communities. Such statement might be true where both communities have different socio-economic status but not in where both are equally rich or poor.
- Further, communalism states that interests of to religious communities are bound to conflict. This might be true in majoritarian states, but it is not true in multicultural, composite democracy like India.
Even though modern nation states wish to create new identities based on modern values, communalism can prove to be a major roadblock:-
- Prevent unity as in case of Hindu and Muslim communities during partition of India.
- Create distrust and conflict as seen in Lebanese civil war.
- May ultimately lead to breakup of nations as in Yugoslavia which broke up in six countries.
- In the age of Social Media, it can destabilize a whole region and impact the world as seen in the case of ISIS.
A Punjabi muslim in Pakistan had much more in common than Punjabi Hindu and Sikhs than Bengali Muslims, but Pakistan was made on logic of communal two nation theory and broke up within 25 years. To stop the march of communalism, constitutional morality, consensus based democracy with equal representation to minorities might be the way forward.