The most important and most neglected part for Civil Services Preparation is answer writing. It is not about HOW MUCH YOU STUDY but CAN YOU WRITE within word limit and time frame. After UPPCS daily answer writing practice and UKPCS DAILY ANSWER WRITING PRACTICE, ORACLE IAS comes out with new initiative UPSC DAILY ANSWER WRITING PRACTICE.
1. ‘Too little cash, too much politics, leaves UNESCO fighting for life’. Discuss the statement in the light of US’ withdrawal and its accusation of the cultural body as being ‘anti-Israel bias’. (150 words, UPSC CSE 2019 GS 2)
आवश्यकता से कम नगदी, अत्यधिक राजनीति ने यूनेस्को को जीवन रक्षण की स्थिति में पहुंचा दिया है। अमेरिका द्वारा सदस्यता परित्याग करने और सांस्कृतिक संस्था पर इजराइल विरोधी पूर्वाग्रह होेने का दोषारोपण करने के प्रकाश में इस कथन की विवेचना कीजिए।
2. ‘The PDS system is the backbone of food security in India’. Discuss the flaws in the current system and the steps taken by government to resolve these flaws. (250 words)
‘पीडीएस प्रणाली भारत में खाद्य सुरक्षा की रीढ़ है’। मौजूदा व्यवस्था की खामियों और इन खामियों को हल करने के लिए सरकार द्वारा उठाए गए कदमों पर चर्चा करें।
1. Intro :A short note on UNESCO and its mandate + US-Israel and UNESCO issue
○ UNESCO is a specialized agency of the United Nations (UN) based in Paris, France. The objective of promoting international collaboration in education, sciences, and culture. Considering the fact that Israel is USA’s closest ally, USA decided to quit the institute alleging that UNESCO has an anti-Israel bias.
Body :Highlight UNESCO perceived ‘anti-Israel’ policies and its effect on its working.
UNESCO’s actions like:
>Admission of Palestine as a member
> criticizing Israel’s occupation of East Jerusalem,
> naming ancient Jewish sites as Palestinian heritage sites.
Effect on UNESCO’s working:
>UNESCO is dependent on contribution from member states.With the withdrawal of USA its funding is substantially reduced.
> It will impact its core work like heritage protection, protection of culture, environmental conservation etc. egs. UNESCO MAB program, World heritage site.
○ UNESCO is about promoting culture, education and science, not political fights. US withdrawal will deny legitimacy to such multilateral organisations and make UN weaker.
○ Hence efforts should be made to ensure grassroot reforms in the institution and to depoliticize the institution so that the intended aims of the founding fathers of UNESCO are realized.
2. Intro: Define the objective of PDS in brief and why its important.
Public distribution system is a government-sponsored chain of shops entrusted with the work of distributing basic food and non-food commodities to the needy sections of the society at very cheap prices. In a poor country like India where hunger and malnutrition is rampant majority of the population is dependent on state support.
Body : Issues with the current PDS system:
>Many empirical studies have shown that the rural poor have not benefited much from the PDS due to inclusion and exclusion errors.
>There are considerable regional disparities in the distribution of PDS benefits. For example, in the the four Southern States of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu accounted for maximum offtale of grains when compares to the BIMARU + Orissa.
>A number of economists have pointed ‘out that PDSremained limited mostly to urban areas for a considerable period of planning while the coverage of rural areas was very insufficient.
>PDS is highly subsidised in India and this has put a severe fiscal burden on the government..
>Inefficiencies in the operations of the Food Corporation of India: The economic cost of food grains operations has been rising on account of increase in procurement prices and ‘other costs’
>Distortion in market price as less grain is available in open market.
>Leakages and corruption
The different types of reforms undertaken by different states are:
· Adhaar Linked and digitized ration cards: This allows online entry and verification of
· Computerized Fair Price Shops: FPS automated by installing ‘Point of Sale ‘device to
swap the ration card.
· DBT: Under the Direct Benefit Transfer scheme, cash is transferred to the beneficiaries’
account in lieu of food grains subsidy component.
.Use of GPS technology: Use of Global Positioning System (GPS) technology to track the movement of trucks.
· SMS-based monitoring: Allows monitoring by citizens so they can register their mobile numbers and send/receive SMS
. Use of web-based citizen’s portal for Public Grievance redressal.
The recent move by the government in implementing ‘one nation- one ration’ card is a move in the right direction in order to ensure food security for the masses.
Contact us for:-