UPPCS Mains- 2018 answer writing practice
Discuss the distribution of sugarcane industry in India. What are the challenges faced by the industry? (200 words)
भारत में गन्ना उद्योग के वितरण पर चर्चा करें। उद्योग के सामने क्या चुनौतियाँ हैं? (200 शब्द)
India is the world’s largest producer of sugarcane and cane sugar and contributes about 8% of the total sugar production in the world.
Distribution of Sugar Industry Sugar industry in India is based on sugarcane, which are a heavy, low value, weight losing and perishable raw material. Sugarcane cannot be stored for long as the loss of sucrose content is inevitable. Besides, it cannot be transported over long distances because any increase in transportation cost would raise the cost of production and the sugarcane may dry up on the way. Hence sugar mills are located in the cane producing areas. Also, it is a seasonal industry because of
seasonality of raw materials.
Based on these factors, sugar industry has two major areas of concentration. One comprises Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Haryana and Punjab in the north and the other that of Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil
Nadu and Andhra Pradesh in the south.
Problems facing the sugar industry in India
• Low yield per hectare of sugarcane in India in comparison to other countries.
• Short crushing season – It makes the industry seasonal creating financial problems for the sector.
• Fluctuating production trends – leads to years of severe shortfall, followed by bumper harvest.
• High cost of production due to high cost of sugarcane, inefficient obsolete technology, uneconomic
process of production and heavy excise duty result in high cost of manufacturing.
• Small and uneconomic size of mills with obsolete machinery.
• Distortion in cropping pattern – Sugarcane production is water-intensive and is located in waterscare areas like Maharashtra
.Policy issues– state governments often announce higher Fair and Remunerative Prices (FRP) for the season, often ignoring market dynamics.
Contact us for:-