UPPSC/UPPCS Mains- Answer writing practice
What is regionalism? What are the steps taken by the government to arrest the rise of regionalism since independence? (200 w)
क्षेत्रवाद क्या है? स्वतंत्रता के बाद से क्षेत्रवाद के उदय को रोकने के लिए सरकार ने क्या कदम उठाए हैं? (200 w)
Regionalism is an ideology and political movement that seeks to advance the causes of regions. It has
both positive and negative connotation. Positive regionalism means love towards one’s culture, region,
language etc. whereas Negative regionalism is an excessive attachment to one’s regions in preference to
Prominent means employed in India to address issues emerging out of regionalism:
· Indian Constitution lays down that India “a Union of States”, not a federation. It also empowers the
Union Parliament to reorganize the states for territorial adjustment.
· The constitution of India contains a number of special provisions under the schedules five to seven
for the self-governance of various tribal groups living in various parts of India. It also provides for the
distribution of legislative powers between Centre and State within Schedule seven.
· Government accepted the reorganization of states based on linguistic lines.
· The right to language forms part of the fundamental ‘cultural and educational rights of minorities’
under Art. 30 of the Indian Constitution.
· Three language formula: Other than Hindi and English, states can recognize their own official
language under Articles 345 & 347 (providing for 8th Schedule of the Constitution).
Other than these, recommendations of Finance commissions, grant of Special Category status to some
states on the basis of deprivation and backwardness, several central schemes initiated to remove
regional imbalances such as Backward Regions Grant Fund, and cooperative federalism is also being
encouraged. Recently NITI Aayog has been formed to provide voice to each state.
Contact us for:-