UPPSC/UPPCS Mains- Answer writing practice
Explain the structure and function of NHRC. Suggest some measures for its improvement. (200 w)
एनएचआरसी की संरचना और कार्य की व्याख्या करें। इसके सुधार के लिए कुछ उपाय सुझाएं। (200 w)
The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) is a statutory body under the Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993
Structure of NHRC:
· The Chairperson should be a retired Chief Justice of India,
· One serving or retired judge of the Supreme Court,
· One serving or retired Chief Justice of a High Court, and
· Two members having the knowledge or practical experience with respect to human rights.
.Four ex-officio members, viz. the chairmen of the National Commission for Minorities, SC,ST and women.
Functions of NHRC:
· To inquire into human right violations/negligence by a public servant, engage in human rights
education, visit jails for the study of living conditions and intervene in a court proceeding relating to
· To review the Constitutional and other safeguards, study treaties/ international instruments on
human rights, promote human rights research, encourage NGO’s working in the field of human
rights and recommend measures for effective implementation of human rights.
Since its formation, the commission through its reviews, reports and recommendations have taken up
important issues of human rights such as handling fake encounter cases, TADA Act, etc.
Suggestions for improvement:
· Structural reforms
o Enlarging the scope of eligibility of chairperson of NHRC depending upon the area of experience and expertise.
o Adding a woman member
o Making the NCPCR as deemed member of the NHRC
o Develop an independent cadre and qualified staff
.Reforms in functions
o Making the recommendations of NHRC binding on the Government or lay annual action taken report
o Allowing NHRC the power of independent investigation against armed forces and extend its scope to J&K.
o Expansion as well as optimal utilization of financial resources to ensure adequate budget is available for research and awareness generation also.
Contact us for:-