UPPSC/UPPCS Mains- Answer writing practice
Discuss the causes and significant features of the Quit India movement. Also discuss its significance. (200 words)
भारत छोड़ो आंदोलन के कारणों और महत्वपूर्ण विशेषताओं पर चर्चा करें। इसके महत्व पर भी चर्चा करें। (200 शब्द)
The reasons for the Quit India Movement of 1942 were:
· Unilateral decision of British to participate in World War II: This bred anger and hostility amongst people who suffered the most. The boats of common men were burnt in Bengal and Assam, there was high food inflation and thousands of soldiers were lost and wounded to the war.
· Threat of Japanese invasion of India rallied the nationalists to safeguard India from Japanese colonial subjugation.
· Immediate cause: Failure of Cripps Mission to meet the demands of nationalists.
Significant features and events:
· Leaderless Movement: On the morning of 9th August, most of the leaders were arrested.
· Mass strikes and demonstrations were organized, and symbols of imperial authority like police stations, administrative buildings were attacked. The revolutionaries also setup parallel governments in places like Satara, Talcher, Champaran. JP Narayan led guerilla warfare through an Azad Dasta in Nepal.
· Women played a prominent role, such as – Usha Mehta operated secret radio station and Aruna Asif Ali was a prominent leader of the underground movement.
· Severe Government repression: The Government came down hard on the protestors and resorted to use of violence and heavy fines.
· Rise of Muslim League: It was in these years that the Muslim League began to make a mark in Punjab and Sind where earlier they scarcely had any presence.
The movement had the following significance:
· It demonstrated the depth of the nationalist feelings in India. The movement chalked its own course in the absence of leaders and brought a new line of common citizens to the forefront of the freedom struggle.
· It also exemplified the capacity of struggle and immense self-sacrifice, which was a hallmark of Indian freedom struggle.
· It served as a strong signal for the British that they would not be able to further prolong their rule against the wishes of the people.
Contact us for:-