UPPSC/UPPCS Mains- Answer writing practice
What are the objective of PDS? What are the issues that plague the current PDS system? (200 w)
पीडीएस के उद्देश्य क्या हैं? वर्तमान पीडीएस प्रणाली को प्रभावित करने वाले मुद्दे क्या हैं? (200 w)
Public distribution system is a government-sponsored chain of shops entrusted with the work of distributing basic food and non-food commodities to the needy sections of the society at very cheap prices. Wheat, rice, kerosene, sugar, etc. are a few major commodities distributed by the public distribution system. India has one of the biggest public distribution system in the world.
India has one of the biggest public distribution system in the world. It satisfies the following objectives:
• PDS aims at providing essential commodities at affordable prices to the low-income sections of the society.
• It also caters to bring about the distributive justice in the society.
• PDS plays a role of buffer between the downtrodden and price uncertainties of the free market.
• It aims at removing poverty, malnutrition and hunger and thus improving health and standards of living of citizens at lower development pyramid.
PDS system has often been blamed for high inefficiency, leakages and rural-urban bias. It faces the following issues:
• Identification of beneficiaries has not been uniform and standardized.
• Due to corruption, economically well-off people get registered as beneficiaries.
• PDS is suffering with the problem of leakage.
• PDS commodities are often replaced with low quality commodities.
• High level of buffer stocks often leads to wastage of food grains and deterioration in quality.
Contact us for:-