Pig Farming in India
Commercial pig farming in India for meat production is one of the best and profitable business ideas for the Indian people. There are several highly meat producing pig breeds available around the globe. Some of those are very suitable for commercial meat production according to the weather and climate of India But at present the scenario has changed tremendously and commercial pig farming in India is no more restricted to lower class people. Now people are conscious about the economic value of pigs like other domestic livestock animals. And higher caste, educated people also started commercial pig farming business in a modern and scientific manner. China, Russia, America, Brazil and West Germany are the world largest pig producing country. In India Uttar Pradesh is the largest pig producing state.
Advantages of Pig Farming in India:
Pig farming has many advantages.
- Pigs grow faster than any other animals. They have higher feed conversion efficiency. That means, they have a great feed to meat converting ratio. They can convert all types of inedible feeds, forages, certain grains byproduct obtained from mills, damaged feeds, meat byproducts, garbage etc. into valuable, nutritious and delicious meat.
- Pigs can eat and consume almost all types of feed including grains, damaged food, forage, fruits, vegetables, garbage, sugarcane etc. Sometimes they even eat grasses and other green plants or roots.
- Pigs become mature earlier than other animals. A sow can be bred for first time at their age of 8-9 months. They can farrow twice a year. And in each farrowing they give birth of 8-12 piglets.
- Setting up pig farming business is easy and it requires little capital/investment for building houses and buying equipment.
- The ratio of total consumable meat and total body weight is higher in pigs. We can get around 60 to 80 percent consumable meat from a live pig.
- Pig meat is also one of the most nutritious and tasty meat. It is higer in fat and energy and lower in water.
- Pig manure is a great and widely used fertilizer. You can use this manure for both crop production and in pond for fish farming purpose.
- Pig fat also has a huge demand in poultry feed, paints, soap and chemical industries. And this demand is continuously increasing.
. Some of those highly productive pig breeds are listed below. They are available in our country and very suitable for commercial pig farming in India.
- Large White Yorkshire:
- Middle White Yorkshire
Other Breeds: Along with the above breeds, there are other pig breeds too. According to the weather of India some other breeds are suitable for farming. Hampshire, HS X1, Duroc, Indegenous, Ghungroo etc. are suitable for pig farming in India.
UKPCS Mains Study Material subject wise
The notes are strictly as per UKPCS syllabus (topic wise):
Individual Polity Cost: Rs. 1500/- (including shipping)
Individual S&T Cost: Rs. 1500/- (including shipping)
Individual Geography Cost: Rs. 1500/- (including shipping)
Individual Economics Cost: Rs. 1000/- (including shipping)
Individual Ethics Cost: Rs. 1000/- (including shipping)
Individual History Cost: Rs. 1500/- (including shipping)
- UKPSC RO-ARO Mains 2024 Course Details || Oracle IAS - February 29, 2024
- The Strategic Guide to Cracking the UPSC CSAT || Oracle IAS - February 27, 2024
- How to Crack the UPSC Exam in Your First Attempt || Oracle IAS - February 26, 2024